Tuesday, February 9, 2010

School Kills Creativity?!

First of all, the man is humorous. I think that his humor draws people into what he says. I think that schools give a lot of opportunity for students to be creative. When they write, read, or do art activities, they are able to be creative. When he mentions the girl who wanted to draw a picture of God, the teacher mentions that nobody knows what God looks like. Still, the student was allowed to do her drawing and be creative. She was using her imagination to show her idea of what God looks like.
I agree with his idea of hierarchy in schools; math at the top, arts on the bottom. Although, schools focus on getting students ready for their future, they still have opportunities to be creative when they do their work. Schools also have after school activities such as drama club, sports, and debate teams.
When I am in a Practicum, the first thing I notice in the school is the art work that's up on the walls. I think that most schools value creativity and let their students express their creativity.

Creativity is "original ideas that have value..." I think that's a great quote that he says.

I think that most students are very creative, but not all show it like others. Some students do dance, plays, and some do musicals. Others who are more shy express their creativity through their writing, reading, and drawings. I was shy in school so I didn't like doing chorus, or being in plays. I liked to draw and write. That's how I showed my creativity. I think that he wants all students to physically express their creativity, when not all students are like that.
When he says that creativity should be just as important as literacy, I agree with him to an extent. I think school should focus on creativity, but their main goal is to prepare them for their future. Why can't schools do both at the same time?

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that all students are creative and not all show it. I think it is up to us as teachers to provide varied activities to allow them to be creative in a safe environment. I truly believe that creativity is the top of the learning taxonomy. If this is truly the case, as educators, we should provide opportunities for all students to think at these high levels.

    ReplyDelete